Nebelung
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just discovered I'm a Nebelung mama!

+2
laurence
ethersmum
6 posters

Go down

Just discovered I'm a Nebelung mama! Empty Just discovered I'm a Nebelung mama!

Post  ethersmum Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:25 pm

I've had my baby, Ether, for ten years. My friend passed out on a pile of dirt (!) in a questionable part of town: when she came to, a scrawny kitten was lying up against her. As my friend headed down the street to her car, the kitten followed her, opening her little mouth as if to mew, but no sound was forthcoming. My friend scooped her up and brought her to my place, as she already had a dog and three cats. I wasn't intending on getting another cat: my beautiful, perfect silver tabby kept me perfectly happy. When my friend let herself into my apartment and came into the kitchen, I spun around and saw this pathetic, and frankly homely, kitten. I was quite put out that I hadn't been consulted about getting another cat and worried about disease spreading to my tabby. I sent her away and told her to get her checked at the vet and then I'd take the kitten, reluctantly.

A few days later, my friend arrived with the pathetic little thing: she laid upside down in the carrier, with her face pressed against the bars and her paw stretched out as if to embrace me. Her little mouth opened and closed, but no sound came out. My friend told me that the vet indicated the kitten had been very close to death: you've never seen such sickly eyes in all your life. Her eyes were the colour of sludge and were filled with some kind of oozing substance that resembled gravy. Her ears were too big for her tiny head and had very long hair growing out of them. She was skeletal.

My tabby approached the carrier and hissed. The kitten didn't even flinch, she merely blinked: it seemed to me that she was just too tired to even register fear or any normal feline defense mechanism. When I opened the carrier door, she didn't make any attempt to exit: she could barely keep her eyes open. My tabby went over to the carrier and grabbed the kitten about the neck, pulled her to her, and began licking and grooming her. We were stunned. About 20 minutes later, the kitten stumbled away, wet from head to toe and purring loudly.

Keeping Ether was one of the most inspiring decisions of my life. She grew into her looks: her head and body caught up with those big ears and her eyes are a glorious greeny-gold. She is the most docile girl ever, and has never used her claws to scratch furniture nor has she ever bared them to a human in anger or otherwise. She is afraid of children, but once when we had company, a four-year-old somehow managed to track her down in one of her hiding places and grabbed her. We froze, thinking that this might be the first time Ether would use her claws. Instead, she went absolutely limp in the arms of this small child: we commented that it was as if Ether knew instinctively that this was a child and that she mustn't struggle with nor swat the child, so she kinda just played dead. The four-year-old proceeded to drag Ether through the house, and while not happy, Ether never meowed, never bit, and never even tried to get away. Nebelungs are just that gentle.

I had no idea until yesterday that Ether was anything but a grey longhair. But my mother brought a book about cat breeds over and both she and I gasped when we came to the Nebelung chapter. I am so happy to have found other Nebelung parents and feel quite smug that my baby belongs to the best cat breed ever. I would recommend a Nebbie to anyone! You cannot go wrong with this breed, plain and simple Very Happy
ethersmum
ethersmum

Back to top Go down

Just discovered I'm a Nebelung mama! Empty Re: Just discovered I'm a Nebelung mama!

Post  laurence Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:53 am

Hiya,

Very funny story Laughing Laughing Laughing Esther was lucky to find you cheers

Do you have any pictures of her? We love pictures in this forum Very Happy

I like your avatar!

laurence
laurence
laurence

http://www.jardindesagapanthes.com

Back to top Go down

Just discovered I'm a Nebelung mama! Empty Re: Just discovered I'm a Nebelung mama!

Post  Valentina Verbeek Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:56 am

Welcom!!! On the this forum:cheers: cheers
You have sweet baby:queen: sunny
Valentina Verbeek
Valentina Verbeek

http://ladogacattery.awardspace.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jocelyne Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:20 am

Nice story sunny Welcome in Nebs world cheers Looking for photos of your queen bounce

Jocelyne
Jocelyne
Jocelyne

Back to top Go down

Post  William Vermeulen Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi

Welcome to this forum and please send some picture's

William
William Vermeulen
William Vermeulen

http://www.cattery-criddle.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ethersmum Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Thank you, everyone! I'm happy to be here Very Happy

I will post photos when I get the chance: I am starting a new business venture and working a lot these days, so I find myself with very little time for anything else Sad

I am very eager to know more about this breed and to learn from each and every one of you. Thanks again, friends! cheers

P.S. My avatar is, in fact, a photo of my Nebbie, who is named Ether (like the anesthetic that dentists once used!)
ethersmum
ethersmum

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleen Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Your Ether looks great. How did she deserve the name? Welcome here
Marleen
Marleen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down