Smokee

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Smokee

Post  Smokee on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:48 am

Hello Nebelung cat lovers,

I am hoping that I can get some feedback from all of you about my cat Smokee. I attached his photo here, and I am hoping to find out if he was indeed the Nebelung breed?

Smokee passed away short four days ago, after he just turned five. He died in my arms in a hospital after suffering from a sudden renal failure. There was no help, even though the vets at VCA tried to rescue him and they gave him every medicine possible to bypass the kidneys. The last straw was to rush him to San Diego at 3am for dilasys, but there was no guarantee that he would even survive the 2hr drive from LA.

Needless to say, I am heart broken and I have been trying to find an answer for days, to see what may have gone wrong. This is how I ran into your forum, after I was able to determine what breed he was. I am more than glad to see that there are more cats here like him.

Any information on confirmation of his breed will bring me some peace. Was he indeed the Nebelung cat? Maybe one day we decide to get another one just like him, because he had a really loving personality, he was very much fun and very intelligent, with beautiful silver long fur, and georgeous green eyes. I miss my angel.

Also, are you aware of any local Nebelung breeders in Southern California? Smokee was a gift and I've never seen another cat like him before.

Your help is very much appreciated, thank you all.

Natasha
Smokee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Smokee

Post  Damijan Kamensek on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:41 am

Hi Natasha,

welcome here in this nice Nebelung-lover-community. I feel with you about your loss of your loved cat.
For me, he really looks like a Nebelung.
Here you can look for breeders.

Hth and best regards,
Damijan
Damijan Kamensek

View user profile http://www.nimbati.de

Back to top Go down

Post  laurence on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:57 am

Hello Natasha,

Smokee looks like a Nebelung indeed. I am very sorry for your loss Sad Sad Sad but you had 5 wonderful years of loving and fun with him and now he is watching over you.

I am sure you will be able to find another Nebelung as there are some breeders in the States.

View user profile http://www.jardindesagapanthes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Anke Zekveld on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:29 am

I'm sorry for you loss. Losing a friend is always hard. Your lad looks lovely and the traits you discribe are very Nebelung like. So I'm sure you'l like true Nebelung. I hope you are able to buy one.

Maybe Linda - LA - can help you to find a new friend. Her email is bratskats@aol.com Here you can find some photos of her cats http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/listing/user/bratskats

Regards,

Anke
Anke Zekveld

View user profile http://www.nebelung.nl

Back to top Go down

Nebelung - health issues?

Post  Natasha on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:32 am

Thank you Damijan, Laurence, and Anke, for your prompt responses. They really mean a lot. Sharing thoughts and support with alike Nebelung cat lovers is soothing in these days of pain.

I will check out the links you provided as one day my husband and I will very likely decide to get one like Smokee again. Never to replace him though.

I do have one more question, especially now since all this experience has been sinking in my mind.
What is your experience with the health of the Nebelung breed? Are they in general healthy, or do they tend to have specific health issues that come with the breed?

Smokee was only five and the vets cannot confirm what caused the renal failure and ultimately his death. They ran ultrasound, blood tests, and x-rays within an hour of taking him into the emergency. He for sure did not eat anything toxic, as he was an indoor cat since the day we got him.

Though, a year ago, he had a bad cold that he picked up from our other cat, but he just seemed to get a worse share of it. He did not eat, could barely breath through his nose, and was very lethargic and hiding underneath our bed. I rushed him to the hospital and they ran all kinds of tests on him. While they never found out what caused his lack of appetite (though he did have increased count of white blood cells), they did find out that his left kidney was missing! The vets even asked if I had it removed! I was shocked with the news as much as with the question.

At the same time, the ultrasound of the remaining kidney showed some cysts. Little did I know what the outcome of it may be, how soon, and how serious it was going to be. He kept on with a normal life-style, ate normally, and was one fun and very loving cat.

One problem that we did have since he was only a few months old was that he began to pee outside of his litter box. It would happen randomly, and usually he would pee on my bed, sofa, or shoes. He ruined a lot of stuff, and I eventually took him to a vet to check if it was caused by stress (I work long hours away from home); or if he had some urinal problems. We even thought of taking him to a cat behavior therapist, but never ended up doing that.
No exam showed any health issues in his early age, until a year ago, when he was already four. As you can imagine, by then it took really a lot of love and patience to keep up with his unpredictable "routine". When I would leave my home I had to protect my bed with a nylon cover, but a few times he even did it at night when I was asleep, right next to me. I tried changing his litter type, I gave him and our other cat separate littler boxes, at separate places within our appartment. I fed him can food only, Wellness, and no dry food at all. He had fresh water twice a day, vitamin/mineral supplements... you name it.

It got to the point where my personal life began to suffer, but fortunately my now-husband gave a chance of moving in together, under a promise that I would get Smokee "under control". And fortunately Smokee stopped peeing around as frequently as before. We moved in to a new place last year, got new furniture, so that he would not be able to trace where he peed before. We even got cans of air that had a motion detector, to keep Smokee away from the furniture at night. It was heart-breaking for me to have to limit him access to just anything, but as I said, my personal life was on fire by then.

Just when we thought that Smokee after all can control his urge to pee outside of the litter box.... he passed away.

Was it all the true signs that he was suffering a slow death, and that his kidneys would stop functioning slowly, but surely? Again, are these symptoms common for the breed, or for males only?

I am still in disbelief that our baby is gone. We have no children and no other family in the States, and this little, precious Angel was our baby boy.

If you can share your experience, I would appreciate. Because now knowing what I know, I do not think I would be emotionally ready to take in another Nebelung cat, if these problems are so common for them.

Thank you all again.

Natasha

Natasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Anke Zekveld on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi Natasha,

The story about you and Smokee is really loving and I do feel great sadness for you and your famely.

I'm happy to tell you the your lovely Smokee has some simelareties with a Nebelung in appearance and character, but that makes him not a Nebelung. A Nebelung comes with a pedigree and is (thankfully) not put on the street at the age of one month . (I can imagine that you really feld sorry for him and that you still wonder how he could be lost at such a young age. Such a beautiful lad) Breeders of pedigree cats do their best for health, character and looks. Hours are devoted to knowledge about genetic lines (preferably minimum inbreeding), good health and great temper (not to mention the time and money to get prefect cats to breed with) before a kitten is born.

Almost all the Nebelungs I know have a perfect health ( one of mine is food alergic - - like with all animals and humans imperfections do happen). The problems you have encountered are not related to our breed, they are morelikely bad luck for a prefect friend. I wished for you and him it was different.

flower

Anke

Last edited by Anke Zekveld on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed last breed to animals)
Anke Zekveld

Back to top Go down

Post  Natasha on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi Anke,

Thank you for your response. I agree based on what I found out lately, that Nebelungs are a very rare breed, and as such, are well taken care of. Smokee was a gift to us, he was not found wandering outdoors in the streets. Not to say that he came from a breeder, either.

Not sure if you are suggesting that a cat can be classified as Nebelung only if it comes with papers?
His physical traits as well as his personality too seem to be in tune what I've read online so far. Just because he did not come with papers, I would not think that he was not one.

What I am hoping to be able to find one day is a kittie that has the same traits. I do not care about the papers, it is their personality and beauty that I care for so much. Smokee was the most devoted, loving, and intelligent cat that I've seen. Combined with his looks, he for sure was a charmer.

It is good to know that his health was something that is not common to the breed. As much as it cost us an arm and a leg, it's been an emotional trauma at most, that I am still trying to recover from.

My little angel will be cremated in less than two days, just a short week after his soul left his hurting body.

If one day I can be a mom to a cat like him again, no one happier than me. And the most important, that fur of joy will have the most love and the best care that one can get.

Thank you again for responding.

Natasha

Natasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Natasha on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Here is a link to the website I put together and devoted to Smokee. It's still in making, so disregard my husband's misspellings of his name. Smokica was his nickname.

The photo link will show more of him. Again, based on his looks alone, I think he was a Nebelung breed? I know that the fact that he did not come with the papers and that he was sickly does not help the case. Also, he was only 5-8 lbs at his best. I take that is another trait that is not common, as I saw some male Nebelungs being as heavy as 12lbs.

RIP Smokee.

Thank you all,

Natasha

Natasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Natasha on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:38 pm

www.smokica.com

sorry about that

Natasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Kristina on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi Natasha,

Smokica looks so lovely and very handsome on the pictures on your site.

I am really sorry for what happened too him.

I sincerely hope you find another sweet heart very soon.

p.s I wanted to ask you if you might have origins in any of former Yugoslavian countries. It's your name and nickname of Smokee is very typical in my country...
Kristina

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/pages/Maroon-5-Frotka-First-Nebelung-Cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Natasha on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for stopping by and checking Smoko's website. He is now well and with angels.
Yes, you guessed right, my origin is from Croatia, and that is why we called him Smoko, Smokica, or even Smoki.

We were lucky enough to just find a local breeder here in California. Learning that this is such a rare breed, I feared that I would never be able to find another charmer like Smokee. He was a gift from our friends, but they were by no means breeders. The breeder confirmed that she is the only breeder in whole California, but she currently has no kitties at all. We are willing to wait, because this special breed is worth waiting.

I like a picture of your little one, cute little thing!

Natasha

Natasha

Back to top Go down

Smokee's background

Post  Smokee on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:42 pm

Hi there,

I was able to locate Smokee's background, to a certain extent. His mom is or was, not sure if she is still alive, a Nebelung from Colorado. She was brough to Los Angeles over 6 years ago. I remember her when Smokee was still only a month old, his mom was a petite, but a very loving cat. She was mostly indoors, but our friends let her out here and there, and that's how, unplanned, she became mommy one day. Smokee was the only Nebelung kittie, the rest of the litter were primarily black, and white and black kitties. No one knows who his daddy was, but looks like he definitely got an unfair share of genes on that side. Crying or Very sad

I heard back from the breeder in Southern California, Linda! Yaaaay!!! She has no kitties, but she can put me on a waiting list. Have not heard how long before her cats may have kitties again. It would somewhat help to know. It is already hard to bare the loss of Smokee, and not knowing if and when we may have an addition to our loving home, just adds to it.

I think I checked every single website today that Google listed with any mention of the Nebelung cats. It is so hard to find the US breeders! If it was not up to Anke (thank you so much), I would not be able to even find this local breeder. Those guys do not seem to advertise at all.

I remember when my now ex-husband mentioned about Smokee for the first time. I was hesitant to bring another cat into our home, but that changed the moment I saw him. How lucky I was to run into him, and only in the past 24h did I realize what I lost. I mean, I knew that before already, but I had no clue which breed he was and how rare it is.

Incredible. Neutral

Natasha
Smokee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Two females a no go, or a go?

Post  Smokee on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Hello there,

I got through this day, and through a first week after Smokee passed away. He was cremated today, I should be receiving his ashes in a week. While I held him in my arms when he was put asleep, I was not emotionally ready to go in and watch him being cremated. Apparently, some people do that as a form of a closure on their end.

It may sound too soon, but the only way of dealing with his loss is to try not to think of him. "He is on vacation", I often wisper softly to my other cat, Inkie. She still looks and sniffs around for him, but she also gets now his share of love and attention. And if it could ever be measured, he was getting 80% of all my love, for sure.

I am looking for a Nebelung kittie. I was told by my hubby that two females do not get along well. Is that true?
Three people in his ofice apparently confirmed the theory, so now I need to do some research to see if that's truly the case. I've never had two females under the roof, so any thoughts from you would be highly appreciated. And while I am typing this, laying on the bed, Inkie just did something that Smokee always used to... she snuggled up against my legs, keeping me warm and reminding me that now she is here for me. She feels my love and attention we've been giving her and looks like she's slowly coming out of her shell. One thing I fell in love with Smokee over any other cat I've ever seen was his devotion, attachment and uncoditional love. He would sit, stand, or lay next to me, even if I was in a bath tub. He was such an unconditional bundle of joy and love that words cannot describe.

And before I make any decision - are two females truly a trouble?

Thanks, as always.

Natasha
Smokee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anke Zekveld on Sat May 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi Natasha,

I can imagine it was a difficult week.....losing and cremating your friend......

About your question. Cats naturaly live in social groups and often females live together in a loving group. Here in Europe, like you might know, cats and breeding cats are able to walk free in the house and when possible (protected) garden. Breeders have a group of some females and many cat lovers have more than one cat. Cats are social, but one can not just put some cats together because "just because you want to". Problems are known to appear with differences of caracter (playfull- not playfull), period in live (young -old), hormones (who is the boss - not neutered males). But also introduction of an new cat in the hous should be done carefully (for both the cats).

Professional catbehaviourist can tell you much about that. You will be able to find some good website in English on Google etc. (be aware that not all websites are of professionals- there are also many " hearsay story sites".)

I hope my answer is helpfull,

Anke
Anke Zekveld

Back to top Go down

Post  laurence on Sun May 02, 2010 12:48 am

Hi Natasha,

What a difficult week it was for you Sad

Regarding your question, Anke said it all. I'll just add my personal experience.

I have 4 cats : 2 neutered males and 2 (breeding) females and they are all friends and live happily together. But the most important thing is the introduction of a new cat at home. Obviously, when they are several, it is easier as they're already used to sharing human and space.

I first started with 1 cat, my Beau (neutered). It was just him and me for 1,5 year before Courtoise came to join us. My Beau had to learn how to share me and my flat with another feline. I did prepare this arrival with the help of a cat behaviourist and everything went very well. I contacted the behaviourist 2 months before the arrival in order to be well "on time" if needed.
Then Dwimordene (neutered) arrived and everything went well as I also used the same technique I did for the arrival of Courtoise.
Then Délicieuse was born at home and stayed. She and her mom got on extremely well.
However, I am aware this might change when one will be breeding.... (protection of the kittens, jealousy of the one not having any, etc.) - but it is not a golden rule!
In the case of 2 neutered females, this doe not come into play.
I have many friends who have neutered cats of the same sex and absolutely no problem.
Very Happy

View user profile http://www.jardindesagapanthes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Natasha on Sun May 02, 2010 2:09 am

Thank you Laurence and Anke for your thoughts. Since you are both very well experienced with cats, I will take your opinions as granted, no further questions asked.

I think I may be on a good path to bring a Nebelung kittie home soon. It is still too early to tell (and I hope Smokee will forgive me for such a rush).

The other night we all cuddled up, my hubby, Inkie and I, and realized how empty and quiet our home became. We are by no means looking to bring in a kittie because we want & need one to help us bear through these times. Only in recent days I learned how rare this breed is. I am hoping for a boy, but if it is a girl, she will be just equally loved and cherished.

Our other cat, Inkie (she is not a Nebelung), is a really good cat, very calm, loving, but independent. She is not a lap cat, she will not bring a toy in her mouth, and she does not talk with us, which is all what Smokee did. Inkie is more like a true cat, your domestic, average cat (sorry), not much drama, and not much jelaousy. With Smokee, you would know when he wanted to play, when he was hungry, when he was happy to see you, and when you surprised him. He was very verbal, which was adorable. He thaught Inkie how to open doors. Until we realized that Smokee was capable of doing it, we at first thought we had ghosts in our home Smile. He managed to open doors, no matter if they would swing inward or outward. Pretty amazing.

Well, all we can do now is look forward to our new kittie, whenever he or she joins us.

Thank you both for your thoughts.

Natasha

Natasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum