Help !

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help !

Post  Petra on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:38 am

Since my girls Palaya and Sonora have some problems with their intestines, I now have to give them a 8-day treatment of Metrazol. Normally, they do not like to take pills very much, but after some struggle, I always manage to give them without too much trouble. But these Metrazol pills are terrible ! The cats just DON'T want to swallow them; they panic, bite & scratch me and fight until the foam is at their mouths... pffff...
3 days down (and they did not even swallow the entire pills) .... 5 to go....
It seems that the medicines are worse than their original problems.
Any tips / suggestions are more than welcome !!!
Thanks !!!!
Petra
Petra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help !

Post  Anke Zekveld on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi Petra,

I'm sorry to hear that your girls have some problems with their intestines. I hope they will soon feel well again.

For my, giving a pill depends on which cat and what pill but my technices are:
Crushing a pill and mix it trough some nice food (sheshir or "human" tuna or so) - it is my favorite, because they eat it by themselfs.
Wrapping the pill in some nice food and giving more nice food afters - it is like one movement. Giving the pill and giving the food. Leverpastij is a good one for wraping around. You can put your ball with medicine in the freezer for 10 minutes. Than it is a real ball.

Less favorite - Putting the in a pill injector. This enables you to put it in the back of the mouth. (Using force is not good in the long run. Creativity is better. )

At the moment one of my HHP cats has and ear infections..... We need to put Surolan in her ear twice a day....... She hates it..... we are counting the days too and hope she will accept the treatment till it is finished.

I hope you will get more usefull tips.

Anke
Anke Zekveld

View user profile http://www.nebelung.nl

Back to top Go down

Post  laurence on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:01 am

And if everything else has failed, you are left with the tpwel technic.....

You wrap the cat inside a towel in such a way the cat cannot move its legs. Only the head is free. You have the towel-cat under your arm, hold the towel and neck with one hand. You have your other hand to pull the pill in the mouth....

I once had to give really bad medication to Courtoise. I tried everything.... only the towel worked.

View user profile http://www.jardindesagapanthes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Petra on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:36 am

Thanks for your tips ! The problem is : I can get the medicine in their mouths, but they do not want to swallow.. and when I keep the mouth shut, the stuff is starting to foam
This morning I put a tiny bit in their food, and they won't eat it. Then I put a tiny bit in some cream cheese, which they started to eat until the medicine touched their tongue... then they started to drool and jump around very strangely.
I just do not trust that Metrazol stuff... so I'm thinking to stop with these pills and call the vet tomorrow to find another solution.
Difficult, because you should finish the treatment, and more importantly : their you-know-whats in the litter finally seem to look good.
Thanks for listening to my pill-problems !!!
Petra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleen on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:39 am

Hi Petra,

You could try to hide the pill in Easypill. This is a good tasting bubblegum-like paste. Some vets have it in store. But you could order it by internet also.
https://www.medpets.nl/dierenarts/bestellen/Easypill/1156/1/1/

Good luck. I know it can be a struggle sometimes giving your cat a pill.
Marleen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentina Verbeek on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:26 am

But, I am dooing second - I am buying Tartar( beef force-meat) and doing small bolls (one with tablet insade) , give to cat, when pill is eten, I give more meat on the top!!!
If this not working, I put on them in the 'tawel"" and near by I have syringe with water, after giving tablet in the throat, after this quickly, I am giving, on the top of tablet, water in the coner of mounth,behind "wisdom" tooth, cat have to swallow water!!!!!
This is work always good!!!
Valentina Verbeek

View user profile http://ladogacattery.awardspace.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Anke Zekveld on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:05 am

I dislike any towel technique. It is too much forcing and might make them fearfull of any pill. I got to say I'm a lucky lady most my cats are very easy going with anything. My vet is always happy to see them....
(I got one - the deaf wite cat - who's screams and fights soo much.... does compensate the good behaviour of the others .... Evil or Very Mad )

Anke
Anke Zekveld

Back to top Go down

Post  Bernard Boucher on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:36 am

Nous employons un injecteur à pilule. Il faut être ferme et rapide. Après il faut donner beaucoup de caresses et de bonne nouriture.

We use a "pill thrower" device. One needs to be quick and firm. After, lots of TLC and good food are needed.
Bernard Boucher

View user profile http://www.nebelung.fr

Back to top Go down

Post  Petra on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:17 pm

I've tried all your tips, but this is what happens when the Metrazol comes too close:

I'm frustrated that I'm not able to give them these pills...grrrr.....
Petra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anke Zekveld on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Sorry to hear that is too difficult to give the medicine. I wished I lived closer to you, so I could help. Two pairs of hands make live more easy.....
You might ask your vet if the medicine comes in an other shape too. Some medicines are not only as a pill but also as a injectable fluid- which are not as cheap, but are given only twice a week. Or some have different brands - with better taste etc.

Sure there will be a sollution. I hope you can find it soon.

flower

Anke
Anke Zekveld

Back to top Go down

Post  Petra on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 am

It's only 62 km.... please come !!!!
You can see Palaya again !
Petra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anke Zekveld on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:08 pm

I will not be able to visit you this week. I'm about to leave to visit a friend in Spain. But I do like to take your invitation and visit you, Sonora and Palaya.

Palaya was such a special kitten- okay, one out of a litter of two. But she was always calm. She could visit to the vet for her vacination on my hand full of trust sitting like a princess (without any hand to keep her there).

Anke
Anke Zekveld

Back to top Go down

Post  Petra on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:51 pm

You're always welcome of course, but maybe it is better to wait until they are fully healthy again (for your own cats).

Both Palaya and Sonora are always lovely for me (not for my wallpaper) . Also at the vet they behave like true Ladies. Only the metrazol brings out the monsters in them haha. I gave up my attempts (I have no skin left on my hands ). What a quiet, relaxed & pleasant evening we have !

Hopefully their complaints won't return !

See you around !

Thanks everybody for your support !
Petra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum