Nebelung
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nebelung character

4 posters

Go down

Nebelung character Empty Nebelung character

Post  Admin Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:09 am

laurence wrote:Here's my first question: could you describe me in details the character of the Nebelung? Any differences between males and females?

Many thanks
laurence
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://nebelung.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Nebelung character Empty Re: Nebelung character

Post  Anke Zekveld Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:03 pm

I can only tell you about my own cats, but for me a Nebelung is a very intelligent and gentile cat. They use their intelligence often to communicate with you, showing you what they like and what they like you to do. A Nebelung is best described as a friend not a pet. Their self-esteem is evident. Very Happy

My cats are playful also when they become older. My Aleksandr (almost 6) is still catching insects, plays with his son and has a favorite toy. The girls in our house love to run around playing catch. Especially Zadorinka and her children, Natasha and Pegusha, have a good control over their body, so they can make acrobatic moves. Sometimes they use the wall to make their curves more aerodynamic and when they try to catch a flying toy they often make a circle/ looping in the air. So lively with humor is also a part of the description.

But they also love to sleep for many hours in the sun (on your lap if possible).

All of my cats also have their personal cuddle spot. Nisa loves to be cuddled in our bed. Often when we walk past our bedroom she runs and jumps on the bed, asking for a hug. Natasha will meet you at the top of the stairs for her most favorite hug or on my lap when I’m using the computer up-stairs. Zadorinka is on my lap right now, behind the down-stair computer and sleeps on me at night. Pegusha always bring back her toy-mouse when you throw it away and will be lying on our chest when we watch t.v., looking at us with her loving eyes. Ozar rolls on his back as we need to rub his tummy. And Aleksandr loves to be hugged when nobody sees it. Loving is not good for a cat with his “ruff” image, he seems to be thinking jocolor .

Laughing And I should not forget all of us on the couch. One or two cats on our lap and the others next to us. (so cozy) Laughing

I do not have experience with little children and Nebelung. But I can’t imagine that this will be a problem. A Nebelung doesn’t not react with his/ her paws quickly, but walks away if someone pushes the cat too far. Being able to walk a way is necessary, this is the respect the Nebelung wants.

The Nebelung is also sensitive. If placed in a big group they might be in the shadow as they do not demand space and attention although they really long for it. Personally I do advice people with a big group of cats to choose a different breed.

I’m wondering what the experience of other Nebelung owners is? Do they have the same experience or?
Anke Zekveld
Anke Zekveld

http://www.nebelung.nl

Back to top Go down

Post  Olena O'ksandr Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:52 pm

Same experience here. What goes for your cats also describes Olena. Nebelung character K010

Having introduced kittens to older cats before, I was very surprised that Olena blended in with the others so easily. Within a few days she was accepted like she had been with us for years.
Her self esteem is extremely high. Friends who visit us seeing her for the first time say they have never seen a cat so self confident before.
She is very clear and smart in expressing her wishes. She'll make you understand, using her voice in many different ways. Some sounds are really new to me although my other cats also like to talk alot. The one she uses to let you know she disagrees (for example when she doesn't like to be picked up) sounds like a very annoyed nehhhhhh. You won't misinterprete that one for sure.
Olena also likes to run around, jumping on and against whatever she can use for her gymnastics. At the end of the day I need to reorganize the furniture and paperwork if left on the table.
Her movements are extremely well balanced and centered. She uses her body very well. She is powerful with strong hind quarters. Sometimes when she focusses on something outside, she sits like a meer cat, motionless, for a long time. None of my other cats has ever done that.
Her favourite cuddle spot is her belly. She'll stretch all her legs and lay still like a long piece of nebelungwood enjoying the treatment gratefully.
Olena O'ksandr
Olena O'ksandr

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=Y7DLYQH3

Back to top Go down

Post  laurence Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:30 am

OK, so basically you are saying that the Nebelung is:

- not a dominant cat nor an extrovert. Will rather blend in than stand out in the limelight.
- an active (but not nervous) cat who needs a lot of exercises and remains playful all his/her life.
- not an aggressive cat
- a cat who sits on your lap (that's great! none of my Chartreux do, they hate it!)

The Nebelung should fit really well with my 2 Chartreux, that's good Smile For me, 3 cats is a maximum.

More questions... Be ready.... I did warn you Laughing

* Health: any particular points one needs to watch out for? i.e. sensitive stomach, eyes, bowels, etc.? Any known or possible sickness in the breed? (i.e. PKD for persian and associated breeds or HCM for example)

* Food: do they like food a lot? Is it something one has to pay attention to?
Chartreux looooooooove food Very Happy and I have to pay attention to their greediness Laughing so they do not become too fat.

* Do Nebelungs rather climb or jump?
My Chartreux are good climbers but bad jumpers which is nice for me as I can put things safely away on top of my chestboard Very Happy

* Would Nebelungs tend to be resckless?
My 2 cats are so NOT reckless Laughing

* Are they talkative cats, like the orientals (and am thinking siamese there who are real chatterboxes!)?
My Chartreux are almost "mute" though they do talk if needed - generally when they know that I will not understand their subtle messages Laughing

* Are they sociable, i.e. come and greet guests?
My Chartreux do, after having observing them and only if they think they deserve it! Laughing
Having no children, they are not used to them and tend to stay safely out of reach from them though they keep watching them. They look at my friends' children as if they were aliens! Laughing Whem my friends leave, my cats are absolutely exhausted having observing non stop these little unpredictable people. LaughingLaughingLaughing

* Grooming: what is needed?
Living in an appartment with a (secured) balcony which my cats love, I have never bathed them. No need too. I only "comb" them daily or almost and they love it. Chartreux loose a lot of hair having a very thick undercoat.

* Water: do they like or hate it?
Chartreux love water. As soon as I have finished my shower and though I am still in it, my cats have already jumped in the bathtub and play with what water is left. I also usually have to wait to clean my teeth as my cats are in the basin drinking directly from the tap... and sometimes they even sit in it even though water is still running!!!

* Moving around: how do Nebelungs react? i.e. I live very near my parents and very often visit them with my cats (if I spend the day or afternoon with them for example). My parents adore them and my cats stay with them when I am away for a week-end or more. It is their second home.

Well I think that's all for the moment..... I think I have run out of questions! hi hi hi

Oooops! I knew I had some more!

* Is there a big difference in morphology between the male and the female?
* What is their respective adult weight?
* At which age, have they finished maturing?

Many many thanks Smile

Many thanks
laurence
laurence

http://www.jardindesagapanthes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Anke Zekveld Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:43 pm

The Nebelung has not had health problems as far as I know. But no breed seems to be without failure and problems have arisen in the Russian Blue. In the Netherlands we have the Russian Blue Foundation who asks breeders to test Russian blue and Nebelung cats voluntarily on HCM and PKD and to donate blood for research on the HCM marker of the breed. (HCM has been found in one tested Russian blue recently). I will test Aleksandr, Zadorinka and Nisa this winter on HCM and PKD and donate. They are fully adult and their kittens will be used for breeding next year in various catteries. I’d rather be save then sorry. I do not worry, but I prefer to invest in the future now.

For me the most important indicator will stay the health of the genetic related cats (parents’ etcetera, the age they die and the amount of kittens that die on young age.) As far as I know the parents of my cats have reached a respectable age with good/ healthy kitten results.

* Food:

bounce Running around keeps them mostly from becoming fat. So this is not an issue. Although the kitten food some adults tend to steel has effect.

* Do Nebelungs rather climb or jump?

Climbers and jumpers, but they are careful with your stuff so not reckless. It's easy to tell them where to climb and where to jump. But you need to give the some space to play. We have a huge cattower for our friends.
Nebelung character Klimmend

* Are they talkative cats, like the orientals (and am thinking siamese there who are real chatterboxes!)?
My Chartreux are almost "mute" though they do talk if needed - generally when they know that I will not understand their subtle messages

scratch My cat are not talkative like Orientals, they mostly use gestures. They expect you to be intelligent too!!

* Are they sociable, i.e. come and greet guests?My Chartreux do, after having observing them and only if they think they deserve it!

geek Mostly like wise

Having no children, they are not used to them and tend to stay safely out of reach from them though they keep watching them. They look at my friends' children as if they were aliens! When my friends leave, my cats are absolutely exhausted having observing non stop these little unpredictable people.

lol! My cats like to play with trained children hahaha

* Grooming: what is needed?
Living in an appartment with a (secured) balcony which my cats love, I have never bathed them. No need too. I only "comb" them daily or almost and they love it. Chartreux loose a lot of hair having a very thick undercoat.

afro Not much grooming needed, just once in a while (depending on the season) . But pay attention when petting them on their elbow and trousers.

* Water: do they like or hate it?
Chartreux love water. As soon as I have finished my shower and though I am still in it, my cats have already jumped in the bathtub and play with what water is left. I also usually have to wait to clean my teeth as my cats are in the basin drinking directly from the tap... and sometimes they even sit in it even though water is still running!!!

cat Most of my cats hate it, but some like to help me get dry.

* Moving around: how do Nebelungs react? i.e. I live very near my parents and very often visit them with my cats (if I spend the day or afternoon with them for example). My parents adore them and my cats stay with them when I am away for a week-end or more. It is their second home.

I do not have this experience, but your other cats like it there, so why shouldn’t the Nebelung? She will react on the behavior of her friends. A Nebelung is easy in learning and love a change once in a while. We often bring home some thing new for our cats and even our daily shopping are greeted with joy, like it’s mend for them. cheers

Well I think that's all for the moment..... I think I have run out of questions! hi hi hi

Oooops! I knew I had some more!
Hahahaha I will end here for today hahahaha.

Anke Zekveld
Anke Zekveld

Back to top Go down

Post  Anke Zekveld Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:22 am

laurence wrote:

Many many thanks Smile

Many thanks

king queen Males and females do have differences. Males tend to be a bit bigger than a female, but this is not always. It also differs due to DNA info. Like with humans. Men are often lager then females, but a female from a family of large people will often be larger then a man from a family with shorter people.

The TICA standard also gives a difference:
Length of the hair: Medium long over the body with increasing length from the shoulder area to tail. Males may display a neck ruff, but females to a lesser extent.

The weight of a Nebelung is often between the 3 and the 5 kilo.

afro In my experience it often takes up to two years till they are fully matured. Especially the coat of a Nebelung can take a while before is fully developed.

But like the other answers. I can only share my experience and maybe other breeders and owners have different experiences.

flower I’m also really interested in the character the Nebelungcats of the others!!!! flower
Anke Zekveld
Anke Zekveld

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down