Nebelung
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Russian Blue variant or Nebelung variant or .........

2 posters

Go down

Russian Blue variant or Nebelung variant or ......... Empty Re: Russian Blue variant or Nebelung variant or .........

Post  vilia Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:48 am

Hello, all!
Can you explain how do Nebelgs get refereed in Europe. In Russia there is a discussion how they should be refereed: together with Russian Blues or separate. Embarassed
Regsrds, Vilia
vilia
vilia

http://nibelung.webstolica.ru/

Back to top Go down

Russian Blue variant or Nebelung variant or ......... Empty Re: Russian Blue variant or Nebelung variant or .........

Post  Anke Zekveld Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:57 am

Hi Vilia,

This is an difficult matter as it differs from country to country and one club to an other.

The rule most use is that one can use a Russian blue for breeding Nebelung, but not the other way around. It al has to do with knowing where the longhair gene is or is not. Most clubs (and also breeders) prefer to know the genotype .

genotype = genetical type (so whats inside your cat)

phenotype = the appearance

The length of the hair of a cat is made by 1 set of genes, which are "called" l or L

L

Gene for shorthair is reflected by the capital letter L because it dominates other information about hair length.

l

Gene for longhair is reflected by the small letter l because it is recessive gene, it can be there without showing

Naam

Phenotype = visible

Genotype = genetical info, not visible

Russian Blue

short hair

LL

Russian Blue Variant

short hair

Ll

Nebelung

longhair

ll

Russian Blue variant or Nebelung variant or ......... 1652656982_bad24329d3

The Nebelung is mostly treated in relation to the russian blue like the Abi is to the Somaly.

As far as I know, and that is not so well for Russia, a short haired kitten of a Nebelung used to be called a russian blue in russia. In Europe we call it a russian blue variant and in America it's called a Nebelung variant. I can imagine that also in Russia some prefere a genotype refering name.

Regards,

Anke
Anke Zekveld
Anke Zekveld

http://www.nebelung.nl

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:33 am

Yes, I agree with Anke, in the USA, where so far only TICA accepts the Neb as a championship
breed, the shorthaired Nebelungs have to be registered as non-standard Nebelungs, not russian
blue varients. Some euro countries accept them as russian varients, I personally don't care as
long as the pedigrees are correct and there for all to see, so that those who don't want to have
the LH gene in their lines are free to choose other cats when they can see some LH's maybe in a
varients pedigree.
I know in some associations, like CFA for instance, a Siamese is only a siamese in the original 4
colors, so those breeders study pedigrees to make sure that their lines only have those 4
colors in them and no others. TICA on the other hand, accepts as Siamese any color on the points.
So, it is good when the pedigrees are correct so people can make their own choices.
Vicki B

Back to top Go down

Post  vilia Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:59 pm

Hello!
Vicki, I completely agree with it. People should choose, that it is pleasant to them.
I yesterday have obtained answer from Russian branch WCF. Nebelung give out a family tree. Kittens, such as from Veronica will have too a family tree, with a mark âàð. They can be in cultivation Nebelungs. Very Happy ,
Regsrds, Vilia cheers
vilia
vilia

http://nibelung.webstolica.ru/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down